Fight for Yourself: How to Sell Your Ideas and Crush Presentations
What is Blue Ocean Strategy?
- “The natural strategic orientation of many companies is toward retaining existing customers and seeking further segmentation opportunities. This is especially true in the face of competitive pressure. Although this might be a good way to gain a focused competitive advantage and increase share of the existing market space, it is not likely to produce a blue ocean that expands the market and creates new demand.” ~ W. Chan Kim, Blue Ocean Strategy
“I Don’t Know My Name.”
“I Don’t Know My Name.” Check out Grace VanderWaal’s amazing audition. This doesn’t have anything to do with supply chain but wanted to share it. It will bring a smile to your face. Know that anything is possible. We all have talents in one way or another. Don’t be afraid to get out there and showcase your talent.
- “I believe that every person is born with talent.” ~ Maya Angelou
- “I’d rather have a lot of talent and a little experience than a lot of experience and a little talent.” ~ John Wooden
- “Hard work without talent is a shame, but talent without hard work is a tragedy.” ~ Robert Half
Dream, Dream, Dream.
Get the losers out of your life. Take the first step. Take action. Don’t let anyone steal your dream.
Invest in yourself. Spend an hour getting to know yourself. Become the person you were created to be.
Someone’s opinion of you isn’t your reality. Don’t be concerned by what people think of you. What are you doing to achieve your goal.
You can do it even if no one else believes you can. You have to believe in yourself.
Dream Big Quotes
- It’s not over until you win. Live your dream.
- “We were always dreaming of how it was going to be.” ~ George Lucas
- “Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- “A dream you dream alone is only a dream. A dream you dream together is reality.” ~ Walt Disney
Amazon sues former Supply Chain executive who joined Target
In February 2016 Target announced it hired Arthur Valdez to over see the entire supply chain and logistics organization. Valdez spent 16 years with Amazon and also has experience with Walmart and Kmart.
With supply chain being able to give a company such a strategic advantage Amazon is suing Valdez because they have said by taking his talents to Target he is violating the Amazon non-compete agreement.
Fear of Failure
Fear of failure. Always keep moving forward. If you get tired don’t quit. If you quit then that is the only time it is over.
Get up, if you can’t get up then crawl, but always keep moving forward.
- “The world ain’t all sunshine and rainbows. It’s a very mean and nasty place… and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain’t about how hard you hit… It’s about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward… how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers saying: You ain´t what you wanna be because of him or her or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain´t you! You´re better than that!” ~ Rocky Balboa
- “You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do.” ~ Eleanor Roosevelt
- “Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy.” ~ Dale Carnegie
A close look at Apple’s Supply Chain
Apple’s Supply Chain is one of the best in the world. This is an interesting video regarding the conditions at suppliers in Apple’s Supply Chain. Tim Cook (CEO Apple) was Apple’s Chief Procurement Officer. Time Cook turned the supply chain around at Apple. Steve Jobs hired Tim cook for this reason.
- “We are the most focused company that I know of or have read of or have any knowledge of. We say no to good ideas every day. We say no to great ideas in order to keep the amount of things we focus on very small in number, so that we can put enormous energy behind the ones we do choose …..It’s not just saying yes to the right products, it’s saying no to many products that are good ideas, but just not nearly as good as other ones.” ~ Tim Cook, CEO Apple
- “Steve (Jobs’) brilliance is his ability to see something and then understand it and then figure out how to put it into the context of his design methodology – everything is design.” ~ John Sculley, former CEO Apple
- “I remember going into Steve’s (Jobs) house, and he had almost no furniture in it. He just had a picture of Einstein, whom he admired greatly, and he had a Tiffany lamp and a chair and a bed. He just didn’t believe in having lots of things around, but he was incredibly careful in what he selected.” ~ John Sculley
- “I saw lots of music devices. I loved playing with music devices. And like most of the world, I thought of a music device as a music device. Steve Jobs tends to look beyond that, and he doesn’t see a music device as having any importance at all,he sees music itself to a person as a being the important thing.” ~ Steve Wozniak, co-founder Apple