Coca Cola Supply Chain
- “What’s great about this country is that America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same things as the poorest. You can be watching TV and see Coca-Cola, and you can know that the President drinks Coke. Liz Taylor drinks Coke, and just think, you can drink Coke, too.” ~ Andy Warhol
Best Supply Chain Companies
Here are a few of the best supply chain companies to research: Amazon, Apple, Toyota and Walmart.
Amazon has done some amazing things with its supply chain. Now that Walmart is trying to catch Amazon in the ecommerce world you know Amazon has arrived. Do a search on Kiva Robots or Amazon Robotics and you will find a large assortment of information on ways Amazon has automated their supply chain. Also research Jeff Bezos who is the founder and CEO of Amazon. Target recently hired a supply chain executive from Amazon to lead their entire supply chain organization. Below are some links to information regarding Amazon.
The Apple Supply Chain is known to be one of the best, if not the best supply chain in the world. Steve Jobs hired Tim Cook in 1998 to revamp the Apple Supply Chain. Now Tim Cook is the CEO of Apple. Jeff Williams led the Apple Supply Chain and is now the COO of Apple. Apple puts major emphasize on its supply chain.
The Toyota Supply Chain is very well documented. I believe Toyota is one of the best supply chain companies to research because there is so much information out there about Toyota and the Toyota Production System (TPS). The Toyota Production System (TPS) is what has helped Toyota become synonymous with quality. Taiichi Ohno is the father of the Toyota Production system so he is a very good person to research. If you search the Toyota Production System a huge assortment of information will come up.
The Walmart Supply Chain and been innovating since Walmart began. Starting in small towns Sam Walton had to figure out the best ways to get product to the stores and this helped him develop the amazing Walmart Supply Chain. Do research on ways Walmart and P&G started sharing information in the 1980s making the supply chain so much more efficient. There is a great deal of information on the Walmart Supply Chain and different ways Sam Walton continuously improved Walmart. Walmart is definitely one of the best supply chain companies.
What is Blue Ocean Strategy?
- “The natural strategic orientation of many companies is toward retaining existing customers and seeking further segmentation opportunities. This is especially true in the face of competitive pressure. Although this might be a good way to gain a focused competitive advantage and increase share of the existing market space, it is not likely to produce a blue ocean that expands the market and creates new demand.” ~ W. Chan Kim, Blue Ocean Strategy
Supply Chain Automation Quotes
Supply Chain Automation is key in improving efficiency and productivity in an organization. Below are a few quotes that may help get your head around this supply chain concept.
“Almost all quality improvement comes via simplification of design, manufacturing, layout, processes, and procedures.” ~ Tom Peters
- If you are going to automate then there will need to be simplification. In order to automate something you should be able to map out the manual process. Once you map out the manual process it becomes much easier to automate.
“Everything should be made as simple as possible, not simpler.” ~ Albert Einstein
- How many people have had a boss tell you “I just want an ‘easy’ button.” Supply Chain automation can greatly improve efficiency and productivity but it isn’t a cure all. Process discipline is essential in order for supply chain automation to truly work. Many times when people start talking about automation they think it will cure all problems and everything will have an easy button.
“Great leaders are almost always great simplifiers who can cut through the argument debate and doubt to offer a solution everybody can understand.” ~ Colin Powell
- One of the common themes here will be simplification. Supply chain automation is all about simplification. Making the manual process and simple as possible so that it can be automated.
“The essence of strategy is choosing what not to do.” ~ Michael Porter
- Before you start on the journey of supply chain automation determine what is going to be automated and what will not b automated. You won’t be able to automate everything. If you determine this early it will greatly help throughout the process.
“Sometimes when you innovate, you make mistakes. it is best to admit them quickly, and get on with improving your other innovations.” ~ Steve Jobs
Negotiation Skills are essential in procurement and everyday life as well. When purchasing a house or a car it is very important to have negotiations skills.
- My father said: ”You must never try to make all the money that’s in a deal. Let the other fellow make some money too, because if you have a reputation for always making all the money, you won’t have many deals.” ~ J. Paul Getty
- “The first principle of contract negotiations is don’t remind them of what you did in the past – tell them what you’re going to do in the future.” ~ Stan Musial
- “A sign that negotiations were handled well on both sides is that everybody probably feels a little bit like they didn’t get what they wanted.” ~ Christopher Lloyd
- “Let us never negotiate out of fear. But, let us never fear to negotiate.” ~ John F. Kennedy
- “The freedom of the city is not negotiable. We cannot negotiate with those who say, “What’s mine is mine and what’s yours is negotiable.” ~ John F. Kennedy
- “The fellow who says he’ll meet you halfway usually thinks he’s standing on the dividing line.” ~ Orlando A. Battista
More videos about negotiations and procurement – http://www.supplychaintoday.com/category/procurementnegotiations/
How to Get a Job in Supply Chain Management
Supply Chain Management is a great place to have a career.
- “There comes a time when you ought to start doing what you want. Take a job that you love. You will jump out of bed in the morning. I think you are out of your mind if you keep taking jobs that you don’t like because you think it will look good on your resume. Isn’t that a little like saving up sex for your old age?” ~ Warren Buffet
- “If it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, go out and sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures. Sweep streets like Handel and Beethoven composed music. Sweep streets like Shakespeare wrote poetry. Sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will have to pause and say, here lived a great street sweeper who swept his job well.” ~ Martin Luther King Jr.
- “A leader’s job is not to do the work for others, it’s to help others figure out how to do it themselves, to get things done, and to succeed beyond what they thought possible.” ~ Simon Sinek
- “Yes, I’ve made a great deal of dough from my fiction, but I never set a single word down on paper with the thought of being paid for it … I have written because it fulfilled me. Maybe it paid off the mortgage on the house and got the kids through college, but those things were on the side—I did it for the buzz. I did it for the pure joy of the thing. And if you can do it for the joy, you can do it forever.” ~ Stephen King
- “Never continue in a job you don’t enjoy. If you’re happy in what you’re doing, you’ll like yourself, you’ll have inner peace. And if you have that, along with physical health, you will have had more success than you could possibly have imagined.” ~ Johnny Carson
Ingvar Kamprad Quotes
- “Only those who are asleep make no mistakes.” ~ Ingvar Kamprad, founder of IKEA.
- “If there is such a thing as good leadership, it is to give a good example. I have to do so for all the Ikea employees.” ~ Ingvar Kamprad
- “People say I am cheap, and I don’t mind if they do.” ~ Ingvar Kamprad
- “IKEA is not completely perfect. It irritates me to hear it said that IKEA is the best company in the world. We are going the right way to becoming it but we are not there yet.” ~ Ingvar Kamprad
- “You can do so much in 10 minutes time. Ten minutes, once gone, are gone for good. Divide your life into 10-minute units and sacrifice as few of them as possible in meaningless activity.” ~ Ingvar Kamprad
- “Making mistakes is the privilege of the active. It is always the mediocre people who are negative, who spend their time proving that they were not wrong.” ~ Ingvar Kamprad
- “Time is your most important resource. You can do so much in ten minutes. Ten minutes; once gone is gone for good.” ~ Ingvar Kamprad
Procurement training to help improve your purchasing skills.
Quotes for Procurement Professionals
- “People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did. But people will never forget how you made them feel.” ~ Maya Angelou
- “Checking the results of a decision against its expectations shows executives what their strengths are, where they need to improve, and where they lack knowledge or information.” ~ Peter Drucker, considered the father of modern management.
- “Our success has really been based on partnerships from the very beginning.” ~ Bill Gates, founder of Microsoft.